Poet, Fiction Writer, Essayist, Translator
Born on May 26, 1944, in Kutaisi. In 1969 he graduated from Tbilisi State University, the Faculty of Philology.
His poetry has been published since the 1960s in university newspapers, in almanac “First Ray”, “Akhkomi” and “Tsiakari”.
In the 1970s, Givi Alkhazishvili worked as a reviewer, literary worker and the head of the Critic Department at the Tsiskari magazine. While working at the Tsiskari magazine, he intensively collaborated with young writers, whose works were later acknowledged thanks to him.
In 1989, he became Editor-in-Chief of the Merani publishing house. In 2003-2006 he worked as the Head of the same publishing house.
At the end of the 1990s, until the beginning of the new century he led literary workshops at the Cultural University.
- Poems (1972)
- City of Memories (1975)
- A Strange Bird (1975)
- Poetry, Poem (1977)
- Window of the Past (1980)
- Dialog in Thoughts (1981)
- Eye as a candle of soul (1982)
- Wind chase (1983)
- The sky, you always see (1985)
- Expecting for Words (1987)
- Arise (1987)
- The Hurt is shining (1989)
- The Ash of the Night (1990)
- Only about love (1990)
- The Light in a Drop (1995)
- Going out from Timelessness (1998)
- Volume (1998)
- A Will for Breaking Away (2005)
- Chronicon (2006)
- Chronicon 2007 (2008)
- 100 Poems (2010)
- Introversible Look (2011)
- Does the Sun Come Up or Does it Go Down (1999)
- From Sodom to Sodom (1999)
- From the Both Sides of the Iron Door (2002)
- Future Past (2010)
- Thoughts Escaped in Words (2004)
- Evening Lights by Afanasy Fet (1979 )
- “Eternal Day”, A Poetry Collection (Afanasy Fet, Vladimir Soloviov, Andrei Bely and Aleksandr Blok) (1984)
- Poems by Wisława Szymborska (together with Mikheil Kvlividze) (1999)
- Collection of Poems by Tudor Arghezi
- Pages of Moldavian Poetry (together with Geno Kalandia)
- Translations of poems by Rainer Maria Rylke was published in the first and second volumes of the 5-volume edition by Caucasian House; ed. Naira Gelashvili (2007); and multi-volume edition of the Austrian poetry that was published by Dato Barbakadze. In this edition, the first volume featured Givi Alkhazishvili’s translations of poems by Richard von Schaukal, while the third volume featured poems by Rylke.
His poems are translated into many languages, including: English, Russian, Italian, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Estonian, Moldavian and etc.
- Akaki Tsereteli Award for the book Going out from Timelessness (1998)
- State Prize for the same book (1999)
- Saba Award for the collection of poems Introversible Look (2011)